By Jason Kleve, controller - Transwest
Our goal at Transwest is to get you on the road and keep you there, whether you are a long-haul trucker or just looking for a great deal on a new car or SUV. But when it came to our AP process, I felt like we couldn’t even get out of Park, much less get on the road.
Transwest is headquartered in Denver, Colorado and represents a diverse group of operations providing transportation products and services to commercial and retail customers across the U.S. and Canada. Our dealership operations represent the Freightliner, Western Star, and Isuzu, GMC and Buick brands.
Transwest AP Challenges and the Yooz Solution Fit
The Transwest auto dealership division of the company had been wanting to go paperless for the past five years, however, there were not many platforms that would integrate seamlessly with our existing CDK DMS system for a complete end-to-end P2P (purchase-to-pay) solution…until Yooz.
Much of our AP department’s office space was wasted on file cabinets, and during the audit process it was difficult to find documents. We also had a complete lack of accountability from dealer managers. But the catalyst to making the transition to AP automation came when the auto and truck group decided to build a new campus and we didn’t want to move all those file cabinets!
CDK recommended Yooz, and our management team was thrilled to have finally found a solution that housed the entire P2P process, and at a very reasonable cost. With other options there was one base service, like data storage for example, and then the provider had to bolt on other softwares. Each additional software came with its own licenses, implementations, and additional costs. We almost gave up that we could find a complete solution.
We decided to roll out the implementation at the corporate branch first, learning and troubleshooting along the way. Only three months later as the AP team asked, “How soon can we get rid of paper copies?” implementation at the other four stores began. The entire implementation period was only six months.
It’s All About the Results
It was such a relief to find a complete solution that would accommodate the entire process, from purchase to payment, without any nickel-and-diming or added costs for bolted on software.
We’ve enjoyed many other benefits, too.
- Documents saved in the cloud are more secure and more easily accessible.
- We’ve saved a ton of money not shipping documents.
- Four hours have been shaved off of the payment process, down to 15 minutes per payment.
- No more shredding! No more file cabinets!
- We have a much more streamlined flow for approvals.
In addition, this change has forced managers to be more involved and accountable. Our tech savvy personnel adapted very quickly. But even the old schoolers became our biggest advocates once they realized the benefits from the improved processes.
Words of Wisdom
- Dealerships tend to be so paper-centric. Realize that Yooz AP automation is a tool that can create great benefit.
- When exploring AP automation solutions, a key consideration is how much of the process will the platform handle? (Here’s a hint: Yooz is the only provider that offers a complete end-to-end solution.)
- Learn more about OCR (optical character recognition), what it is, what it isn’t, how it works, and how it impacts the AP workflow.*
*To learn more about OCR, Read the Yooz Press Release on the topic.